Denton a village in South Norfolk, England

John Michael Milton - 22nd August 1940 - 1st May 2024

From the Parish News – July 2024.

John, the eldest of four siblings, was born to John and Edith on the 22nd August 1940 at his grandparent’s house at Chapel Corner in Alburgh. In spite of the war, John had a happy childhood surrounded by loving grandparents, aunties, uncles and neighbours.

As the war ended, the secure cosy life that John knew came to an end. His father returned from service in the Royal Navy and the family lost their house, moving initially into temporary accommodation on a former USA air base, before being given a council house in Scole. John attended the Sunday school there and was a keen scout.

After schooling in Scole and Diss, John began an apprenticeship at Lawrence Scott engineering in Norwich where he became a fitter and turner. After this, he moved to British Aerospace in Kingston- upon-Thames before returning to Norfolk, becoming a maintenance engineer at Clays in Bungay where he stayed until his retirement.

John’s main interest was in motorcycles. He was a member of Diss motorcycle club and attended many motorcycle events, helping out at scrambles, grass track meetings and speedway as well as taking on the role of Marshall at Snetterton. John was also a talented engineer, not only building his own bikes and keeping them in good repair but also, when very young, building from scratch a fully functioning record player, complete with cabinet.

Whilst working at Clay’s and living in Hempnall, John met his next-door neighbour, Daphne. They were married in 1978 and moved to the top of Trunch Hill in Denton.

John and Daphne had a wonderful life together, enjoying many holidays both around the British Isles and abroad. They were keen members of the Denton Gardening Club and helped with the village composting scheme. John played carpet bowls for the village team and enjoyed photography, taking computer lessons in order to download and edit the photos that he took. Being John, he soon became very skilled at both of these.

Sadly, in his later years John became increasingly frail. Daphne cared devotedly for him at home until it became necessary for him to have full time care. Just before Christmas last year John moved to Beauchamp House in Chedgrave, where he passed away after a short illness.

Those who knew John describe him as a gentle, loving, and straightforward man, modest about his achievements and always ready to help others. He saw the good and the positive in everyone and everything.

A wonderful man who will be hugely missed by all who knew him.

Return to Obituaries Page.

Return to History Page.

Return to Home Page