Denton a village in South Norfolk, England

Daisy Amy (Pat) Townsend 13th June 1934 to 2lst March 2017

From the Parish News – June 2017

Many relatives and friends of “Pat'' Townsend attended her memorial service in Denton URC Church, prior to her burial at St. Mary's Church, Denton. The service was conducted by the Rev Chris Hutton, who read her eulogy, and her grandson Neil spoke of the fond memories he had of his grandmother. A gathering was held after the service in Denton Village Hall where refreshments were served.

Although Pat spent nearly all her life in Denton village, she was actually born in Topcroft, but her parents, Bob and Gladys (nee Hazell) Leveritt moved to Denton when she was only 14 days old to live in the old cottages on Trunch Hill These were later demolished when the existing council houses were built in the late 1930's. The family then moved into 5 Trunch Hill. While she was still an infant living in the “Old Cottages'' Pat was severely injured in a serious accident when her mother dropped her by an open fire where there was a pot of boiling water. She subsequently spent much of her early childhood in Ditchingham Hospital - she came out of hospital the day before the outbreak of WW2 in 1939.

Pat went to Denton School where she was taught by Mrs Knights and Mrs Hilson until she was 14 years old. After she left school she stayed at home to help her mother, who worked as a home-help, keeping house for her father and her two step-brothers. In 1954 Pat met her future husband, Peter Townsend, who had just finished his National Service; they were engaged on Pat's 2lst birthday and married on the 22nd September 1956.

Peter was born in Alpington and his family moved to Brooke when Peter was 5 years old. His father worked as a cowman for a Mr Basden. The farm was later taken over by Mr Spurgeon who founded the famous Jersey herd and dairy business. Peter, on leaving Brooke Primary School at 14 years old, joined his father at Spurgeon's where there was a team of eight men hand-milking 180 cows whose milk was sold in Norwich and the surrounding area. Peter joined the army just before his eighteenth birthday, training for the Royal Norfolk Regiment at the Britannia Barracks on Mousehold Heath, Norwich before embarking on a four week voyage to Hong Kong on the HMS Orwell where he stayed for two years before his return.

After their marriage Peter and Pat lived for a while at 5 Trunch Hill with Pat's parents when Peter worked as a stockman at Park Farm, Earsham for Major Meade. Their daughter Diane was born in 1957 shortly before the family moved to “The Cottage”, Norwich Road, where their son Terry was born in 1958. The cottages were rented from a Mr Sturman who later sold these two cottages and the two neighbouring cottages to builder Sid Rose for f20. In 1961 Peter was engaged as cowman for Mr Brown and later John Woods at Chapel Farm. But, after another 3 years, he changed his profession to become a builder's labourer when he worked for Sid Rose. During which time they demolished Bungay Railway Station - a particularly dirty job owing to the soot deposits from the old steam locomotives. Apart from six years working with Dennis Warren at his coal business, Peter finished his working career in the building industry at Carter's in Harleston before retiring early owing to a medical condition. Peter sadly passed away in November 2006.

Pat enjoyed gardening, particularly growing indoor house plants, knitting and sewing as well as being a bit of an addict to TV soaps. Peter enjoyed watching football and was on the Kings Head darts team. They never went away on holiday but enjoyed cycling around together to visit relatives. They were a pair of genuine country folk who lived their lives simply and honestly, and will be remembered with affection by all who knew them.

Our sympathy and condolences go out to Diane and Malcolm; Terry and Pauline, with grandsons David and Robert; Kevin and Neil with their families and friends.

Return to Obituaries Page.

Return to History Page.